Today I was thinking about village names, as many cozy mysteries take place in quinessential English villages, so I thought I'd share some of the more amusing place names from the West Country of England, where I live.
1. Splatt. This is my personal favourite and I really want to be able to say I live there, just for the comic value.
2. Tiddleywink. There are actually two Tiddleywinks, one in Somerset and one in Wiltshire.
3. Temple Cloud. Doesn't that sound romantic?
4. Nempnett Thrubwell. It's fun to say
5. Tinker's Bubble. Also Somerset (seems like all the best ones are)
6, 7, 8. Velvet Bottom (Somerset), Happy Bottom (Dorset), and Jolly's Bottom (Cornwall).
9. Westward Ho! Yes, it actually does have an exclamation mark and facebook keeps deleting people who live there as it thinks they are being rude.
10. Mudford Sock. Also Somerset, and also very silly.
11. And finally, the rudest one: Shitterton (The signpost as you enter the village had to be replaced by a heavy boulder as the original kept getting stolen!)